Executive Director, Friends of the Shiawassee River Job Description
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission through actions defined by its strategic plan.
In program development and administration, the Executive Director will:
- Assure that the organization has a long-range, updated strategic plan which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational, and financial plans with the Board of Directors/Goal Teams and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
- Work with the Board of Directors in the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel (paid staff and volunteers).
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective governance team is in place, with appropriate provision for succession.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a staff (both paid and volunteer) of top quality people.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, media, and the general public.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff, Finance Goal Team, and the Board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Research grant opportunities and provide thorough grant management – including reporting to the Board, funding entities, and, where appropriate, the general public.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of non-profit administrative/supervisory skills, interpersonal/motivational skills, and a background in a water quality or other environmental field. A related college degree and relevant experience in related areas is expected. The typical work-week is 30 hours with flexibility in hours and days; some evenings and weekends.
Please send letter of interest and resume by July 21, 2017 to: President, Friends of the Shiawassee River, P.O. Box 402, Owosso, MI 48867 or email@example.com.